Thursday, January 8, 2009

"I do not speak the minds of others except to speak my own mind better."
-Michel de Montaigne, "Of the Education of Children" (1575)

In the "he said, she said" of modern living, I feel bombarded by people who can say it better than I can. In an attempt to catalog some of the quotes that inspire, amuse, confuse, or straightup horrify me, I'm recording them in this blog -- along with a word or two on why the quote hits home.

"The best ideas are common property."
-Seneca the Younger, "On Old Age", Moral Letters to Lucilius

I'm assuming/hoping that there are no legal issues here and plan on always crediting the quoted. If you think I have misquoted/miscredited, leave a comment.

"Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it."
-George Santayana, Little Essays (1920) "Reason in Ethics"

I have high hopes that this blog becomes more than just a one-way expressionfest, which is why I encourage anyone who visits to throw in your two cents as well.

1 comment:

  1. I am the first follower and commenter, therefore I love you best.

    ReplyDelete