Sunday, January 11, 2009

"When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script.' If he says, But what's my motivation?, I say, 'Your salary.'"
-Alfred Hitchcock

"An actor onstage can no more act upon the order 'Be happy' than she can upon the order 'Do not think of a hippopotamus.'"
-David Mamet

Studying theatre is kindof like studying bullshit. And let me tell you, I've become a master of bullshit. I particularly like the second quote because, 1) Mamet cracks me up, and 2) he gives the actor a feminine pronoun. He knows what's up.

I'm starting my last semester of college in about a week and a half, and majoring in Theatre is turning into a scarier and scarier idea. I can't believe that I've spent so much of my education on something so impractical. But it's what I'm good at. The way some people just click with numbers or learning foreign languages, I understand the elements of theatre better very naturally.

But now that I get the question, what are you doing to do with that degree?, more frequently than ever, I have taken to responding with -- WHATEVER I WANT. Which isn't necessarily true, but it seems to the get the point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment